I listened to a podcast today at Startups for the rest of us around working remotely and optimizing productivity by getting out of the office.
I’m listing some of the tools and tips here in addition to a few things that I found to be valuable as well. If you have tips that you would like to share, drop them in the comments section or send me an email via the contact form.
Tools to bring:
- AirDisplay for displaying multiple desktops using a tablet. Said to increase productivity. Cant confirm this claim because I have not tried it myself.
- WIFI – Although, Wifi seems to be everywhere, you might find yourself some where that doesn’t have it, or its not working, or its slow. So you should always have a backup source to access the Internet. Some options are; a Tether capable smart phone phone and/or app that makes your phone tether capable. OR a portable wifi hotspot also known as a Mifi. OR locate a Comcast WiFi HotSpot (Comcast Cable Subscribers only) which will provide you with Internet access.
- An Ethernet cable in case you find your self in a place that doesn’t have wifi but does have RJ45 jacks in the wall or routers available for customers to plug into for Internet access. Rare but I have seen it. The upside is that this will provide you with faster speeds in most cases unless your tethering and have LTE.
- Don’t find yourself with a dead or dying battery and no power source. Bring your own surge protector so that if there are more people than outlets in a place, which is generally the case, then everyone can share the power.
- Extra (In addition to the ones at your home office) charge cables for your cell phone, tablets, and laptop. These should stay in your bag.
- Headphones that cover your ears to block out noise.
If you can not get out of the house, then bring the coffee house to you.
- Take your self out of your home office without leaving by putting on good headphones that cover you ears and use http://coffitivity.com/